Saturday, February 11, 2006

My Job

I am at work, and at the place where I work, there is nothing to do at this second.

Sure, there are papers that can be gone through - things to be filed. But my soul holds no joy for these petty actions. I want to be doing something exciting - something fun.

However... At my job there is something unique... Something that keeps me here... Something that is worth all the moments of boredom.

Sometimes it happens quickly and is over in seconds.

Other times it can last the entire shift.

The adrenaline rush, the knowledge that what I do has an effect on others, that I control - if only for a few moments - the destiny of lives in my hands and that I must be very careful or the very lives I hold can be destroyed beyond repair.

I am a good person and I know this to my core. It isn't a power trip to feel the adrenaline, but more of a worry that I won't be able to save this one. Or that one. Or that someone truly could die if I spoke the wrong word.

Funny...

Not in the ha-ha-ha kind of way - but in the odd, strange, bizarre kind of way.

Funny that words can change a life in a matter of moments.

Words can communicate ideas, thoughts, meaning - directions, feelings, needs, wants and desires.

Words are through which all are made equal or left in the dust to wither and die.

Words are amazing things and daily I must use them to persuade, to plead, to agree, to share and to demand in order to make sure that everything runs smoothly.

And yes - lives do depend on my words... Daily.

So perhaps while I may be bored at the moment, this is a job where I make a difference without being noticed, because at the end of the day - it is not "I" who is labeled the hero - but someone else.

And I think that this is Ok.